If you’re a homeowner, you know that keeping your home organized can be a challenge. From home offices and homework space to laundry rooms and garages, there are many areas of the home that can quickly become cluttered and chaotic. In this blog post Indianapolis Realtor, Stacy Barry, will share some practical tips for organizing these areas and improving the functionality of your home.
Home Office and Homework Space
Whether you work from home or your kids need a space to do their homework, a well-organized home office and homework space can improve productivity and reduce stress. Here are some tips for getting organized:
- Declutter: Start by decluttering your space. Get rid of any items that you don’t use or need, and organize the remaining items into categories.
- Use storage solutions: Invest in storage solutions such as shelving, bins, and file cabinets to keep your space organized. Make sure to label everything so you know where things are located.
- Turn unused spaces into something more functional: Stacy was lucky and added a homework space for her kids in a previously unused formal living room before covid hit. She added desk space and shelves with outward facing computers into the room to give her boys their own work areas. She worked with The Container Store to design a space that turned out perfectly for what her family needed, and it is now one of the most used and functional areas of her home. Stacy also made a small home office for herself in a corner of the same room so she has the perfect place to work from home when needed.
The laundry room is often overlooked when it comes to home organization, but it can quickly become a cluttered mess. Here are some tips for organizing your laundry room:
- Use wall space: Install shelves, cabinets, or hanging rods on the walls of your laundry room to store laundry baskets, detergent, and other supplies.
- Simplify your supplies: Use only the supplies you need, and store them in an organized manner. This cuts down on clutter and makes what you actually do use easier to find.
- Customize your space for functionality: As a top Indianapolis Realtor, Stacy has seen tons of laundry rooms in different houses. She used ideas from other homes as well as the help of the custom designers at The Container Store to help create the perfect laundry and mudroom for her family. Stacy replaced custom cabinets in her laundry room with a smaller rack for hanging clothes. Next she added a cabinet with closed doors to hide away the items she didn’t want to see, and added open shelving that fits laundry baskets perfectly. Additionally she added a basket for random items, such as hand towels that often times were finding themselves in piles around the laundry room, or on the floor. Adding the basket easily solved the problem of unwanted clutter and was super easy to do. The family dog, Ruby, also got her own area in the laundry room. Stacy added coat hooks by the back door to eliminate the clutter that a bench always seems to catch. She also added a towel rack by the door so pool towels are ready and easy to grab when needed. She put a hamper nearby as a spot for used towels so they are no longer all over her house.
The garage can be a dumping ground for all sorts of items, from sports equipment to tools and gardening supplies. Here are some tips for organizing your garage:
- Declutter: Start by decluttering your garage. Get rid of any items that you don’t use or need.
- Use storage solutions: Invest in shelving, hooks, cabinets, and other storage solutions to keep your items organized.
- Create zones: Create zones in your garage for different types of items. For example, create a camping zone, a sports equipment zone and a zone for your tools.
- Stacy recently overhauled her garage by adding tons of cabinets to store organizing supplies, tools and items for work. She added ceiling racks that hold bins to hold her seasonal items. The epoxy floor that was added keeps dirt from being tracked inside her home.
If you’re looking for organization products or services in the Indianapolis area, here are some local options to consider:
- The Container Store: The Container Store offers a wide range of organization products, from shelving and storage solutions to closet systems and office organizers.
- Closet Factory: Closet Factory specializes in custom closet systems and other storage solutions for the home.
- Sort Support: Sort Support is a personal organizer that custom designs organizing solutions to fit family’s lifestyles. In-home organization, virtual planning, and organizational design or available.
Keeping your home organized is essential for improving productivity, reducing stress, and maximizing the functionality of your space. By following these tips and investing in storage solutions, you can transform your home into a functional and organized space. With the help of local organization products and services, you can make your home feel more spacious, welcoming, and stress-free.
Did you finish organizing your entire home and realize you’ve outgrown it? Contact Stacy Barry, top Indianapolis Realtor of the Stacy Barry Team to help you find a new home that will be a perfect fit.